This update includes a copy-edited version of the NETWORKING chapter. Which, as you may know, is the final full chapter in the book.
This brings up the issue of what's next.
In going through the book with (sort of) fresh eyes, I documented a number of things that need to be rectified and made consistent throughout the book. These included (but are not limited too):
- Replacing all "Metro" references to "Modern"
- Capitalization consistency ("file picker" vs. "File Picker" and many others)
- A handful of cross-chapter references that I didn't look up at the time (i.e. make sure they exist)
- Replace all "group" references (parts of a panorama) to "section"
- Make the "Customize [app name]" section at the end of each chapter as consistent as possible
And so on.
And then there are a few other (and potentially bigger) issues. In order of "bigness," if you will:
1. SkyDrive renamed to OneDrive. This will require new screenshots throughout the book
2. Windows 8.1 Update 1 content inclusions. We've decided this makes sense for 1.0
3. Add the scanner content to the DEVICES chapter
4. Other content additions – And there are many, though each is small. Some more File Explorer stuff in the FILES chapter, discuss configuring a trackpad so that you can turn off gestures, that kind of thing
So I'll do the first set of those changes first and pump up book updates as I go, as before. I don't want to predict how long this will take, but hopefully it will just be days.
Feedback is always appreciated. More soon.
Remember, you can download the latest version of this and other chapters, and the full book in progress, from the download page you have hopefully already bookmarked. If you haven't yet paid for the book, please get a copy of the book today.
Windows 8.1 Field Guide 0.82 – 569 pages